Bosch Munitech was appointed by Rand Water for the condition assessment and rehabilitation design of the Zuikerbosch tunnel running under the Vaal River. The tunnel is a critical link in Rand Water’s supply infrastructure and is an essential component in the water security strategy for the province of Gauteng.
The tunnel condition assessment required emptying and continuous monitoring of the tunnel to allow safe access for the specialist engineers and Rand Water staff. The inspection was completed within 22 days and involved the following activities:
- Specialist Health and Safety reviews and 24-hour on site monitoring
- Water level monitoring and continued dewatering
- All electrical supply and backup generators
- Continued air quality monitoring and forced air ventilation
- Specialist rope access and emergency evacuation procedures.
Phase 2 of the project entails the finalisation of the condition assessment report and updating of the as-built drawings for the tunnel, including full 3D modelling of all tunnel infrastructure. Once client approval of the report is obtained, a detailed design will be undertaken for the full rehabilitation of the tunnel.
Bosch Munitech is proud to serve Rand Water in securing the future of water supply for Gauteng’s residential and industrial consumers