World Class Materials Handling Solutions
As part of the Transnet Market Demand Strategy, the planned increase of chrome ore required Transnet Port Terminals to construct additional open storage areas for the stockpiling of the increased quantities destined for export through the Port of Richards Bay.
Bosch Projects was appointed as the main consultant and was responsible for the engineering and detail design of the bulk materials handling system, together with all the associated steel and concrete structural elements.
The scope of the project included:
- Constructing a 347 m long reinforced concrete conveyor U-gallery and supporting columns at a height of 22 m
- Dust control and water pumping system
- A motorised travelling wing tripper and cross conveyor, weighing 39 tonnes and feeding to the stockpiles at rates up to 2 500 t/hr
- Two new reclaim conveyor belts with mobile reclaim hoppers for product reclamation at rates up to 2 500 t/hr
- Modifying existing conveyors and infrastructure to interface the port system with the new works
- Electrical, control instrumentation, and Scada interfaces for new and modified conveyors and control of the wing tripper.