Beacon Bay and Gonubie Link Road
CLIENT: Buffalo City Metropolitan Municipality
LOCATION: East London
TYPE OF CONTRACT: Professional Engineering and Project Management Services (EPCM)
Scope of Services Provided:
- Route Location and Preliminary Design.
- Acquisition of Land and Environmental Approvals.
- Appointment of Subconsultants :
- Survey Geotechnical
- Electrical Health and Safety
- ISD Environmental
- Detailed Designs (geometric, structural, hydraulic and pavement)
- Cost Estimation and Procurement.
- Contract Administration.
- Construction Monitoring.
The planned 6 km greenfields roadway will link Beacon Bay and Gonubie across challenging terrain. The purpose of the Major Urban Arterial is to provide access to existing and new land developments between Beacon Bay and Gonubie and is being constructed in 8 phases, with Phase 1 and 2 now having been completed.
Phase 2 provided a further 680m of asphalt dual carriageway road, comprising two 3.4m wide lanes, separated by a 1.4m paved median. Pedestrian walkways and cycle lanes have been constructed on both sides to reduce potential conflict between motorists and non-motorised transport.
Due consideration was given to environmental aspects, including retaining systems to minimize scaring during construction work, erosion control, and aesthetics of the structure at the river crossing.
Key elements of the contract:
- 47 000m• of earthworks.
- Major culvert with 4 no. 5m wide x 8m high cells crossing the Quenera River, forming part of a controlled storm water management system.
- 680m of asphalt dual carriageway road, including a traffic circle, pedestrian walkways, cycle lanes, and street lighting.
Project Value: R 82m
Date Completed: July 2019