Road MR177 (Stellenbosch arterial)
CLIENT: Western Cape Government, Transport and Public Works
LOCATION: Stellenbosch, Western Cape
TYPE OF CONTRACT: Professional Engineering and Project Management Services (EPCM)
Scope of Services:
- Pavement Investigation and assessment of remaining life;
- Review of drainage, road furniture and safety;
- Engineering design;
- Cost estimating;
- Contract administration; and
- Construction monitoring.
This section of MR177 (known as the Stellenbosch Arterial or Polkadraai Road) measures 10.5km and runs between Blackheath and Stellenbosch.
The project required the pre-treatment and resurfacing of the dual carriageway road to extend the expected life of the underlying pavement by 10 years.
It also included the repair and minor upgrade of culverts, formalisation of road signage and safety review.
Major elements of the project to include:
- Drainage maintenance, including clearing of side drains and culverts;
- Culvert headwall repairs and additional new headwalls;
- Selected surface patching and mill out and replace asphalt in 5600m2 of slow lane;
- Rehabilitate 800m of dual carriageway;
- Overlay 200 000m2 of roadway with rubber modified asphalt; and
- Re-align guardrails, line marking and roadstuds.
Project Value: R60 million (estimated)