Kagera Irrigation Expansion x 2
CLIENT: Kagera Sugar Limited
LOCATION: Kagera Sugar Estate, Bokoba, Tanzania
TYPE OF CONTRACT: Professional Engineering and Project Management Services (EPCM)
- Infrastructure planning with regards to haulage roads, drainage and irrigation layout.
- Detailed engineering design for pump stations, pipelines, overhead transmission lines and balancing dams.
- Irrigation design and bulk distribution network and primary drainage.
- Optimizing Bulk and infield water requirements taking into account harvesting strategy.
- Overall design of 4 900ha of irrigation under pivot with off-take facilities for irrigating a further 1 700ha of outfall area.
- Design of river and infield pump stations, as well as balancing dams in strategic places and associated bulk rising mains.
- Upgrading of the electrical infrastructure where required and design of new overhead lines.
Features:Overall features of this project:
- Five (5) river pump stations with total capacity of 14 960 m3/hr.
- Two (2) infield pump stations with total capacity of 3 700 m3/hr.
- Two (2) balancing dams.
- Drainage master plan for the entire Kagera estate.
- Detailed design of the primary drains and outfalls.
- Upgrading of 11kV line to 33kV line.
- New 33kV line.
The project was broken down into two phases:
Phase 2A: 2 400ha under pivot – 41 pivots – average size 85ha. Phase 2B: 2 500ha under pivot – 38 pivots – average size 75ha.
The irrigation system was designed to supply the following:
- Peak monthly nett irrigation requirement:152mm.
- Daily gross irrigation requirement for centre pivot @85% efficiency = 6.2 mm/day.